Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Days of Chaos

"How pleased were our bodies in the days of Chaos
needing neither to eat or piss!
Who came along with his drill
and bored us full of these nine holes?
Morning after morning we must dress and eat,
year after year fret over taxes.
A thousand of us scrambling over a penny,
we knock our heads together and yell for dear life."

-Wan Shen, early 5th Century

The above quote is from a sign that was posted in a favorite hangout of mine in Phoenix, AZ back in the early nineties, "Metropophobia". Unfortunately I can't read the citation clearly at the bottom so I'm squinting and guessing about the source. At any rate, it describes my feelings these days.

I hang on to simplicity of life with my little grip only to have commerce and the current of my human condition sweep me up, out and into the fray. The guy with the drill notwithstanding, tide and time are my undoing now. This is what I blame for my having gotten messed up in the purchase of real estate this late in the game. I needed a place to live. I ran out of cheap housing and I found a great place for sale...here come the gnashing monsters of the American Dream with their big teeth, groping hands and foul ideas of what will make me happy. GOD! I can't get through this maelstrom of fiscal monsters FAST enough!

How ironic that the goal is shelter.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Beautifully written. Your words and the situation you describe touched me. How ironic - indeed.