Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Friday, December 15, 2006

The Loss Felt 'round the World

"...Do it for fun, and most of all do something you personally care about.
Most of all do it. Find your voice and then say something. The one cautionary
statement I'd issue is do make sure you have something to say. I think everyone
does, but I often see people confusing talking with having something to say.
Once you figure out what that is, say it loud and say it well..."

Leslie Harpold

I received an email of the "email-group" kind from an old friend named Russ. Because I have other things to do that I deem exceedingly unpleasant and worthy of being distracted from, it was easy to take it upon myself to click on one of the links.

Well, one click lead to another and I think I must have experienced the same sort of fascination as Russ did as he realized, as well, that someone exquisite had been around for ages and we missed her totally!!! Many others were not so unfortunate, of course, as testimonials flourish.

I read the above quote in an interview Leslie Harpold gave and felt it appropriate to my blog as I'm trying to understand what, if anything, to do with it. Of course, I kept reading and now I know something of this fascinating woman and she is gone. I wish I would have known her. Who would not want to know someone who sends a total stranger a 32 gallon stainless steel trash can because she discovered it on their "wish list"! What a hoot! It occurs to me that there are more than a few people that I DO know that I am privileged to call my friends who deserve some appreciation and, perhaps that will be a focus in this blog...

In reading people's accounts of Leslie, I'm reminded of Jim Henson (who I have always admired) and how his friends said he was so driven all the time to go fast! fast! fast! He excelled at efficiency and slept little, too. In hindsight, since he died so young, it was suggested that he seemed to have understood on some level that he didn't have very long in this world therefore he needed to go as fast as possible all the time.

My heart today is with all those who lost their dear friend Leslie Harpold. Thank you, Leslie. Hopefully, next time...

No comments: