Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Saturday, January 6, 2007

And the word of the year is….?

I first came across Christine Kane back in the early years of Whole Wheat Radio. I admire her a great deal. She’s so multifaceted and interesting, kind, talented and smart. I’ve kept my eye on her by being on her mailing list. Buy her music. You'll not regret it. As it happened recently, I clicked on the link to her blog and was intrigued by her exercise of picking one word a year to focus on in lieu of slippery resolutions. I believe Michelle the Goddess did this a few years back. I remember her word was, “Courage”.

I glanced down the list that Christine provided in her entry and immediately found a word that struck me. Frankly, I forgot about the thing and went on. I then returned to the blog entry later on only to find the same word in the list resonating for me. It must be MY word for the year! It is a scary word for any introvert: Presence. The thing I find great about this exercise is that any A.D.D. person can hang on to one word long enough to write it on a sticky note and put it on their bathroom mirror to look at over the year.

What kind of trickery is this? Am I subjecting my extroverted friends into a contemplative life? Perhaps… (grins) There is a simplistic beauty about the word for the year. It allows a baseline for a person to track how they process events spiritually. The word may interpret one way in January 2007 and quite another in January 2008. The difference between the two is the journey. The trips the thing. For instance, if I have nothing to say about the word “Presence” in a year, it will be most probably because I will be dead and THAT would not only be a serious poetic statement, but it would also explain in glaring detail why I was spiritually moved to pick such a word of the year!

So pick a word from Christine’s list. If you share it with me, we’ll check it out next January…well, you know…if I’m present...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Change. I think this says more about the way things are now than where I want to be, but I think that's pretty representative of my situation. I just need a few changes.

-Sol

Anonymous said...

The word of the year for me is INSPIRATION! What will inspire me, is what I want to move toward. Inspiration, the act of breathing into my body and soul, the energy of the new! I choose to move toward that which inspires me. If the breath is shallow, turn until it is deep and full and life affirming.

And now a quote from Mary Oliver, poet: Listen ~ are you breathing ~ just a little ~ and calling it a life?

Michelle~who writes such things in passion red lipstick upon her walls ~