Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hell-Bent and Hard-Wired


People have children for many reasons. I think, for many, those reasons change over the course of their parenting journey. In the happiest cases, people come to embrace their own inner child and their children benefit from this connection. In the saddest cases, a disturbed and abandoned child is revealed in the parent after the children are born and the offspring of this parent are in for an “interesting” life….this seems especially true if the baby is born to teenage parent(s).

Everyone knows what the term “interesting” implies when it is referred to one’s life. It means there may have been bloodshed and there most certainly were tears. That is not to say that all children of disenfranchised parents are destined to be dismally shackled with the task of raising themselves... It could mean that these children spilt out, who hit the ground running, could be the most challenged and yet gifted of souls on earth. It may mean, too, theirs may not be a perspective that is easy to understand.

I was hard–wired as an, abandoned 1st generation born American female and hell bent because I had the equipment to procreate at 19 years old. I was a bit like a feral cat, actually. I have two sons, Hunter and Jacob, who raised me and then cultivated themselves into fine men after a rough beginning. I wish I could take more credit for their significant achievements but I can’t. Their success is largely on their own merit and they deserve appreciation of that fact. They live, hopefully, full and satisfying lives.

While I had little to do but get out of nature’s way to have them, they are my dearest creation. I recognize my sons are at opposite ends of temperament but I don’t know them as well as I’d like. That is a course that was set long ago. Still I am no less proud of them and I love them dearly.

No comments: