Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Thursday, January 4, 2007

To Halve and to Whole

There has been some important mid life settling and blossoming going on within me in the last 10 years and I, seriously, need to stop and allow myself to be. So it has come to pass I have got a fine meal ticket and now I have bought a little 900 square feet of living space within a mile from my bread and butter. I’m golden. However.....the ink hasn’t even dried on the deed and now it is revealed to me that I am an introvert with special needs.

Well all of this is just in time, isn’t it? I can’t ride anywhere anymore, I’m HOME now. So if I can’t ride (because I have no alligator) and I can’t move (because I’m an introvert) what happens? Blogging, clearly, is not going to release me from my need for and responsibility to maintain human interaction in my life. Blogging is the “little portal that could” for my exposing myself creatively but my virtual life is not going to hold my hand when I need it to or bother me when I “really wish it wouldn’t”. Full tilt cultivating a virtual life or wallowing in my introversion does not seem to me to be unlike dedicating myself to isolation for spiritual pursuits. It offers me the opportunity to expand internally but it’s not going to move me physically into the community that I have adopted here in this small town I live in. I have still got to find a way to be – in my special introverted way – at home here. I still have “…these nine holes” to contend with, if I want a full life and to fully enjoy the beating heart of this extraordinary and very beautiful physical world I share. It occurs to me, for the first time in my life, I may NOT find my tribe; I may not make an attachment…At this point in my life, there may not be any way being in the world that I am used to. In fact, that link seems to be broken….

I suspect that the only way to make the virtual and the spiritual real in time and space is within the divinity of the physical. The show begins, after all, with the arrival of our physical selves and it ends with the departure of the same. It appears to me the challenge is how to take both of these halves – the spiritual (internal) and the physical (external) - and somehow make a whole life out of it…..and that, like any growing thing in physical time and space, will take awhile to seed, blossom and grow..

….I’ll keep you posted.

No comments: