Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Friday, May 4, 2007

Desert Memories


I found this story on my friend Mark Fleming’s blog from April 11th. It is a story about a place that had a profound influence on him and it certainly had a great influence on many others, as well…myself included.

It was there that I learned that great art, like a great life, requires commitment, fortitude and hard, hard work - besides the all-important talent that is required to make all the beauty happen. It was there that I learned just how much dope it takes to keep one on the edge of functionality and in precarious balance of ones vision. It was there that I realized these things are rewarding beyond mortal measure when applied with heart and soul.

I was and still am in awe of the impact The House had on my life. I was a little late on picking all that up with my protestant work ethic and survival needs, but what a great, wild and fun lesson is was! I made some outstanding friends there and it was an honor to find myself in a quiet orbit of the action…

I was enhanced, charmed and challenged. Great times. Thank you, Mark for writing it all down.

No comments: