Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fifty Four at the Door

I have GOT to post SOMEthing, even if it's wrong, to get back my groove blogging...I'd best just jump right into my cranky mind and devil-take-the-hindmost thought! First of all, the reason I have not posted in some long while is that I have been blogging elsewhere... yes, it's true. I have been cheating on this blog. But I cheat American Style! I did it for my moneymaker...that is, my job.

We were suppos
ed to - as an assignment at work - create a blog about all the discoveries we were making experiencing web 2.0. We were given a series of assignments to dabble in different goodies available on the internet - things that our students who we work with regularly are going to be utilizing. Then, after noodling around in our long, idyllic, summer hours at work with these technologies, we would share our thoughts about what we discovered on the blog. Most people seemed to bail after they figured out how to embed a picture of their cat in their blog. A handful of us persevered and stumbled through the applications and innovations. Somehow, I never got around to posting a picture of my cats.

The highlight of my web 2.0 discoveries was Second Life. A co-worker gave a demonstration and I had already been charmed by a few YouTube How-To videos that I had seen. By the time the demonstration was over, I was strangely transported. I knew what I was going to do. It's one of those rare flushes I get like when I decided to go to Alaska for a beer in 2002 - just like that! I knew I was going to open a Second Life account and open a gallery or something there. Not only that, I am going to have my 55th birthday party there a year from today. Friday, September 19th, 2008. I'm thinking of having musicians and fun stuff...I don't know what-all yet....I have a year to get my Second Act together. It looks like I'm going to need a year because my first attempt to get set up in Second Life blessed me with a pop-up note informing me my graphics card would not support access there. I was hugely disappointed but I have been utilizing my research skills and I'm on the way to upgrading my system MYSELF which I get a whole lot more satisfaction from that remodeling the residence. I will need a year, obviously.

Speaking of which, the other reason that I have not posted is that I've been up to my earlobes in the remodeling of my
Villa Liberty. Painting, flooring and the like... Frankly, it is kind of mind numbing activity. Paint, clean up, repeat; paint, clean up, repeat; paint, clean up, repeat...like 25 times! Thank God Joe showed up during my vacation week and helped me with the painting. Joe's a lifesaver!!! I broke my small toe when the Electrolux rolled over onto my foot as I was wallpapering the floor in my socks. Yes, I put wallpaper on my floor and I sealed it with polyurethane which made me rather high. I ran out of money for flooring but I could afford wallpaper! No one uses it anymore. You can steal it. I didn't steal it, of course, but I found enough to cover 300sq feet for quite reasonable on line. The floor looks a bit like linoleum but it is better than painted sub flooring and I have polyurethane left over to sniff if I break anymore appendages..... WIN! WIN! Frankly, I'd rather bust open my CPU and diddle with its innards than stand back and revel in my grand remodeling accomplishments....

What has happened to me? It is like I'm all tricks, smoke and mirrors! Didn't I say I was going to become a good little 'hamster and find great friends in my community??? Didn't I say I was going to go out to local shows and events! Maybe paint a picture? Oh, how my friends who listened to me go on and on about such things must feel deceived! I'm wicked. Worse. I'm a wicked liar! I'm worried that I'm bi-polar but I'm hoping I'm just changeable and a bit fickle! Actually, what is wrong with me is, most certainly, much worse that I can ever imagine but I just might be getting old enough that a majority of people will shrug my behaviors off as being "elder-related". That is my hope.

So Happy Birthday to me! If you find me wandering around the streets of Bellingham looking confused in my rodeo pajamas and slippers, return me to the Villa and sit me in front of my computer. I'll be just fine.

2 comments:

Rez Dog said...

Happy 54, Cile. I remembered you on the 19th since I will never forget that beer in Alaska four years ago. Perhaps we will share a beer somewhere in Washington on my birthday in November!

Anonymous said...

好秘书 中国呼吸网 肿瘤网 中国皮肤网 癌症康复网 工作总结 个人工作总结 半年工作总结 年终工作总结 单位工作总结 教师工作总结 教学工作总结 学校工作总结 德育工作总结 财务工作总结 医务工作总结 安全工作总结 乡镇工作总结 党员工作总结 团委工作总结 公司工作总结 实习工作总结 班主任工作总结 党支部工作总结 办公室工作总结 学生会工作总结 总结报告 工作报告 政府报告 述职报告 述廉报告 考察报告 自查报告 情况报告 调研报告 调查报告 申请报告 辞职报告 实习报告 验收报告 评估报告 汇报体会 工作汇报 思想汇报 汇报材料 情况通报 情况汇报 心得体会 学习心得 工作心得 培训心得 读后感 发言致辞 发言稿 开业开幕 领导讲话 动员讲话 庆典致辞 节日致词 新春致词 晚会致辞 追悼悼词 节目游戏 毕业致辞 思想宣传 组织人事 晚会主持词 会议主持词 婚礼主持词 常用书信 表扬信 感谢信 倡议书 责任书 承诺书 检讨书 申请书 保证书 决心书 悔过书 建议书 慰问信 邀请函 条据书信 礼仪文书 贺电贺词 社交礼仪 个人礼仪 商务礼仪 职场礼仪 涉外礼仪 饮食礼仪 节日礼仪 婚庆礼仪 鲜花礼仪 其他礼仪 交际礼仪 秘书