Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Word Up, Trix! ...Word of the Year, Part Two

When I was in Seattle on one length of my Solstice trip, I saw my friend, Kelly. She had a basket with tarot-like cards in it on her table. When I asked her about it she explained that they were Self Care Cards. It occurred to me, when I could not find a ringer in Cristine Kane's Word of the year list, that I might call Kelly and have her pull a card out for me for my word of the year. She pulled out the word "Revelation" which made me wince. These cards also throw you a bone about the word, in this case it was, "...listen to your life, the right path will reveal itself..." To spare myself the same fate as last year, I made my way to the dictionary to take a more studious view of this word from the get-go.


rev·e·la·tion [rev-uh-ley-shuhn] –noun

1.the act of revealing or disclosing; disclosure.
2.something revealed or disclosed, esp. a striking disclosure, as of something not before realized.
3.Theology.
a.God's disclosure of Himself and His will to His creatures.
b.an instance of such communication or disclosure.
c.something thus communicated or disclosed.
d.something that contains such disclosure, as the Bible.
4.(initial capital letter) Also called Revelations, The Revelation of St. John the Divine. the last book in the New Testament; the Apocalypse. Abbreviation: Rev.

[Origin: 1275–1325; ME revelacion (<>revélātiōn- (s. of revélātiō), equiv. to L revélāt(us) (ptp. of revélāre to reveal) + -iōn- -ion]

It sounds like the Dance of the Seven Veils on a good day - Shock and Awe on a bad one....let us hope my year weighs in with more good days than bad....

I'm a very reluctant and uncooperative spiritual adventurer. Frankly, I'm prone to mental and emotional instability and I spend a remarkable amount of time and energy keeping myself from surprises that may blow me out of my perceived comfort zone. At the same time, I realize that any comfort zone I devise is actually a simple projection on my behalf and does not really exist. It exists enough to keep me from collapse and the living hell of a daily disorientation - at least it has served me well for awhile now in this way. The word revelation spinning into my life from the nether vortex of wherever those things perch and landing in my immediate reality doesn't come as really good news to me, initially. What if one is not in the market for a new path? My first reaction is, "Uh-oh...recess is OVER!"

Even though I try to keep myself stabilized in ways that avoids a medicinal regimen, I still try and maintain a spiritual way where I attempt to grasp what is being presented to me in such a way as to temper my awareness. Hence, my idea of the pulling of the Care Card by Kelly. It is like anything else in life, the way I see it, if you look at all that is around you at any given moment of your life there is everything there to explain and assist us in our experience of each moment. It's there for the asking but, frankly, on a moment by moment basis it is too much for me to assimilate. It was very difficult when I was young and, quite frankly, made me a bit manic. As an older person, I haven't the discipline or the vigor to utilize that level awareness properly. (Aunt Clara springs to mind) The vibration of it is simply way beyond me. I recall its intensity quite keenly.

I'm happy with a lucid moment or two. So that is why I initially recoil from the word that was chosen for me for this year. I'm pacifying myself with the anticipation of the revelation I will experience when I get my hearing aids....wondering if it will alter my life in such a way as to reveal new information concealed by my long accommodated silences. I bolster myself with these thoughts as I quietly worry about the shadow of the word "revelation" in its suggestion of surprise. It is reminiscent of the old blessing, "May you be born into interesting times" Indeed, we all know what THAT could portend! Surprises make me nervous.

Certainly all events have opposite polarities at work and we each have responsibility to our personal reactions to each experience. I'm sometimes surprised we get anything progressive done at all as humans! I suspect it is part of an unspoken agreement we have with each other as a species. As far as my word of the year, I will concentrate on the light - the dance (at least until the Summer Solstice) - and let whatever that reveals help me with any shadow that rears up as a shocking revelation...if, indeed, a shadow is even the point. Perhaps it wouldn't do me any harm this year to be a little nervous and anticipatory. Picture me with "the other shoe" suspended above me. What fun would a word of the year be, if I already knew the outcome, after all?

I invite you to get out your Ouija boards, throw your I Ching or simply let a dictionary flop open and have your fingers do the walking to divine a word for yourself....better yet, open a phone book! Call whoever your finger lands on and ask them for a word. Now, THAT ought to prove to be a good way to harvest a consecrated word of the year! ...especially if you do it at, like, 3 am!

2 comments:

Amishlaw said...

Hi, Cile. Thanks for visiting my blog. So, you're a WWR fan, too. I love it.

"Revelation" is a nice word for 2008. Maybe I'll borrow it and see what gets revealed for me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.