Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Revelation: from the driver's seat

It is Winters Solstice today and the end of my Holy Days. It is also the end of my series of six entries on my word of the year Revelation. I have one more story below and then we can all return to our winter naps...well, some of us can...



I was pulling out of a parking lot on campus after dark. Across the street two co-eds walked talking and laughing to themselves. I looked up and over their heads hung the most delicate and crystalline sliver of a moon. I thought to myself "Wow, I bet they didn't even SEE that moon." And just like that, it was over. The pretense of my thought suspended there as if it had been gifted me by the moon herself. I realized that it doesn't matter if they did or did not see the moon - it has never mattered that anyone else saw what I saw - it has never mattered that I saw what anyone else saw; it only matters what I see in time and space - in that moment, at that angle through my eyes...ALL matters concerning my soul begin with what I see and what I do with what I see at any given moment of my life.

I looked both ways . I want to go. I want to recognize what is mine and be welcomed home as I truly am. I pulled slowly out of my lot and I felt scared by the weight of my direction knowing I could hit someone and now none of my involvement could possibly be referred to as an accident.

Thanks to Snapshots for everyday life for photo

1 comment:

Esther said...

Cile - I just read all 6 entries together. Poetic and beautiful insights on your word of the year. Interesting because I've also been following Christine Kane's guest writers each talking about how their particular word affected their year. I've actually picked a word for next year, I think. My first try at the experiment... Anyhow, I hope that things as beautiful as that delicate sliver of moon continue to reveal themselves to you throughout 2009. Much love, Esther