Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Thursday, January 1, 2009

What's in YOUR wallet?

I have been pondering my upcoming word of the year and a bony finger points to what seems to me to be a rather obvious choice at this juncture:

val⋅ue

[Middle English, from Old French, from feminine past participle of valoir, to be strong, be worth, from Latin valēre; see wal- in Indo-European roots.]
val'u·er n.


noun, verb,
-ued, -u⋅ing.
–noun
1. relative worth, merit, or importance: the value of a college education; the value of a queen in chess.
2. monetary or material worth, as in commerce or trade: This piece of land has greatly increased in value.
3. the worth of something in terms of the amount of other things for which it can be exchanged or in terms of some medium of exchange.
4. equivalent worth or return in money, material, services, etc.: to give value for value received.
5. estimated or assigned worth; valuation: a painting with a current value of $500,000.
6. denomination, as of a monetary issue or a postage stamp.
7. Mathematics.
a. magnitude; quantity; number represented by a figure, symbol, or the like: the value of an angle; the value of x; the value of a sum.
b. a point in the range of a function; a point in the range corresponding to a given point in the domain of a function: The value of x 2 at 2 is 4.
8. import or meaning; force; significance: the value of a word.
9. liking or affection; favorable regard.
10. values, Sociology. the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard. These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.
11. Ethics. any object or quality desirable as a means or as an end in itself.
12. Fine Arts.
a. degree of lightness or darkness in a color.
b. the relation of light and shade in a painting, drawing, or the like.
13. Music. the relative length or duration of a tone signified by a note.
14. values, Mining. the marketable portions of an orebody.
15. Phonetics.
a. quality.
b. the phonetic equivalent of a letter, as the sound of a in hat, sang, etc.
–verb (used with object)
16. to calculate or reckon the monetary value of; give a specified material or financial value to; assess; appraise: to value their assets.
17. to consider with respect to worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance.
18. to regard or esteem highly: He values her friendship.

Origin:
1275–1325; ME <>cf. valuta ) of valoir < class="ital-inline">valēre to be worth



This ought to keep me busy and out of trouble for the year...I anticipate a somewhat challenging lesson here with so many levels at play currently. My job is on the line with a 2 million dollar education cut, my self worth is low, I'm not playing well with others and I'm not very disciplined in the laws of economy. On the upside, I can make magic and strike terror in the heart of the status quo. I trust I will learn more about all of these things over the course of the year. That is my intent, anyway. Meanwhile, I have managed to invest in the good company of music to aid in the journey. Thanks to WWR for making a place for me for a time to allow that to happen.

First exercise: Define 'wallet'
Second exercise: discover Hole in My Pocket




Third exercise: Enjoy the ride.

May you all have a joyous, memorable and benevolent year. Invest in what is beautiful in the world. Buy music. It will be returned to you a thousandfold. You can start here:


Ruthie Foster

No matter what your life story, it can always be enhanced with a sound track. Make it a good one.

Thank you to Spykie1959 (Teneke) for making the YouTube Video - It's one of my favorites, too.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Not sure what to make of this, but my word of the year is "values".

Short summary: I want to focus on awareness that my values may differ from other people's values. In other words, I value something that they do not. Or vice-versa.

Simple as that sounds, it is very difficult to put into action. But if we all did, I believe we'd see a shift toward world peace.

Thanks for letting me comment and for writing your blog!

cile said...

We picked the same word? How bazaar, Jim! This should be interesting to track how the word plays out over the course of the year. Thanks for commenting. (and thanks for sending me the Ruthie Foster CD years ago! ;) )