Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Friday, February 12, 2010

Perspective

I think sometimes that it is too easy to overlook the tremendous impact youth and creativity can have on the world at large. Creativity, most of us agree, does not keep easy company . It lives on the edges of things outside of the comfort zones. It stands to reason then that our most creative and our strongest proponents of peace and freethinking should be found not in the center of popularity but in the peripheries of our vision. They are the ones sliding, rolling, dancing, being noisy and jumping; flowing with the energy of their lives in the purest sense. They are not fighting with themselves and trying to funnel their energy into a prescribed future or perceived time. I picked up this video off of a student's post in Facebook and I was awestruck with what the video captured seemingly so easily; what it felt like to be on the edge of everything all at once.

An athlete; a dancer and medicine man, young Mr. Anders Carlson-Wee already knows what it takes to be and stay free. When I see something like this I'm reminded that there are people out there like Anders I am inspired and moved beyond words. Well, words enough to post this but slack jawed and in admiration and support.

I can look at this video and reflect on the pulse of singular purpose from my own youth and the deep importance of play. It is like passing through the eye of a needle to watch this and hear Pearl Jam . I feel like everything is going to be all right. If we have enough people like Anders Carlson-Wee finding the courage to channel the best of themselves in whatever form it manifests in their lives, I know we are all going to be okay. Creativity will persevere.





In my day we used to call it staying hungry but few of us ever really missed a meal.


The complete article and the full interview can be found at SHOCK.

1 comment:

atuuschaaw said...

How cool is this Cile?! I find myself all relaxed now. :-)

I loved his video on "Barefoot Tree Climbing"