Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Gulf for a Gulf.



It probably seems an understatement to say the obvious but an ocean for a coastal people is so much more than a body of water.  It can represent possibilities, adventure and abundance.  I go to the sea once every year to meet up with my family for a few days and we all stand at the edge of this massive body of water in understanding that we are only a part of the greater aspect of all these things - our relatives who have passed and the new children born into the brood.  If we met inland we would likely kill each other over our differences but here there is reverence for the bigger picture that permeates within the pulse of the sea.  The ocean supports and feeds this love my family and I want to have for each other in spite of ourselves.

I watch the drama unfold with the oil spill in the Gulf and I think about what it would feel like should such a thing happen on the shores of my own family ritual landscape.  My blood runs cold and I find it hard to breathe imagining of how such a threat would affect me.  I know the only reason it doesn't happen here is because of the vigilance of environmentalist in the Pacific Northwest.  In the Gulf it is business as usual with the innocents suffering for the few.  The artists and those who eke out a meager living from the sea and the wildlife bear the brunt of this disaster.

The mantra for my generation was to Question Authority and staying that course is a lot of the reason these wild places in the Pacific Northwest remain protected from corporate greed.  I don't think, however, that this is a strong enough incantation for the young of today.  I wonder if Follow the Money isn't  a more appropriate battle cry for young champions for a healthy and free lifestyle in the world today.  It scares me to say this but for the sake of the greater good, I hope they render this oil money completely worthless and take back the vibrant life, liberty and happiness that is rightfully theirs.

A Gulf for a Gulf.  
A sea of oily, salty tears for a sea of oily, blood and sand.
Enough is enough.

1 comment:

Friko said...

If only . . . .
I don't believe that we will give up exploiting the earth any time soon. we love our cars, planes, our luxuries, our western style of life. And then there are the 'new' countries wanting their share of the earth's resources.

It's clamouring for 'growth', 'growth', all the time, which will bring us to the edge of disaster.