Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Saul Friedman and Small Miracles

It is not often that one gets to read the eloquent and poignant musings of a man reflecting on life from the delicate edge of his own mortality.  I was quite moved as I read the last column of Saul Friedman a journalist and writer of renown who I had only known as a contributor to a blog the I frequent, Time Goes By.

In his writings he explained and shared has vast knowledge of history and politics in such an accessible, lucid  and animated way that even I, an impassioned evader of all things political could understand.  It was a miracle to me that he got my attention on such matters at all, let alone taught me anything.  In this particular column that I have linked to below there is an intensity that is so subtle it can only be truly grasped in it's poignancy by his passing just days after it was posted.  Saul passed away December 24th.

I hope you will join me in taking a moment to read Saul's reflections.  It has been a better world for his presence in it and I am a better citizen of the world for his sharing. Thank you, Saul Friedman.
Saul Friedman
"...Life, illness, happiness, good fortune and bad, even good and bad presidents (I have covered) are all part of what the 11th Century Persian poet Omar Khayyam had in mind when he wrote, “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” And,
That inverted bowl they call the sky,
Where under crawling, cooped we live and die.
Lift not your hands to it for help,
For it impotently moves as you or I." ...

...an excerpt from his December 18th column "Grey Matters", entitled Small Miracles.  I encourage you to take a moment in this season of miracles to reflect on Saul Friedman, what he wrote there and what it means to live a full life of heart and soul.  I know I will be taking strength from his example.

2 comments:

marciamayo said...

Oh Cile, thank you for doing this. I agree that Saul's last column was indeed a gift. I wonder if he knew it would be his last.

K. said...

What I admire about Saul more than anything else was his drive to write and communicate right up to the end. Often, I would read his columns and marvel not only at their lucidity -- which was a marvel under the best of circumstances -- but that he never surrendered his high standards for intellectual rigor even while his body crumbled. I'm the better for having read him, the lesser for having not known him.