Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Friday, January 28, 2011

From the Mouths of Babes

I don't think I have ever heard of this kind of moxie spring from a valedictorian before.  Not in my time, anyway. Certainly I have never been so moved by the courage of Erica Goldson, Valedictorian .  Education got the royal grilling it deserves and I hope to everything good in this world that she is allowed to become the leader that she obviously is.  We would all be better for it.  I was in tears by the end of the speech and my heart was full of hope in the youth of America today.  It is an inspiring 10 minutes I hope you give it a go.  Especially if you are in the education system either as a student or as an educator.

The text of this speech is here.

And followup here.

More about Erica here.





4 comments:

marciamayo said...

Oh Cile, I loved this! I especially loved the adults behind Erica as she spoke and the pristine white shoes she wore. I'm assuming the grown ups knew she would say something like this as she didn't spring fully formed that day in her white garb and shoes.
And the truth is that Erica is right. The system is screwed up. It's just so amazing that she managed to pull it off considering how screwed up the system is.

gsanders said...

Thanks, Cile. It makes one ashamed, doesn't it? And hopeful that she will maintain her idealism.

cile said...

I'm glad you both got to see this because I think it should be discussed in classrooms and in living rooms among family members allowing young people an open forum to react to what she has to say. There is so much good in education that defeats its purpose. Thanks for commenting.

Alia said...

I love how she praises her classmates in the speech who pursued their passions and interests rather than doing good in school. The speech is really powerful because she obviously did a lot of soul-searching and realized she may have wasted her time!!! How great that she DID win valedictorian and got the forum to say all of this!