Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Step by Step with Danny Schmidt

Click Here For Music From Man of Many Moons:


I'm old fashioned.  I come from a time when music arrived on vinyl fully formed as a whole piece of work delivered  through strange and complex birthing channels unknown to any novice outside of the secretive music industry.  Now music is offered in bits and bytes and all of that is fine but when your are a music  "foodie" (or in my case, a fanny?  Wait.  That can't be right...well, yeah, it IS right...) there is only the need for savoring the entire musical offering cut to cut.

So it was with this kind of enthusiasm that I approached Danny Schmidt's latest offering Man of Many Moons...in its entirety.  I feigned off the tidbits and previews because I didn't want to ruin my meal.

I listen to music while I am walking. I have put in about 30 miles and almost as many days on my treadmill listening to Man of Many Moons.  I didn't need to listen that long but I didn't want to stop.  Even though I knew I really should stop and go write this blog entry and rave about the work, I wanted to keep listening.  What can I say beyond that?  I'm not a musician.  I can't begin to comprehend what all it takes to orchestrate this kind of musical magic.  Danny's got the gift and the talent to take what his muse throws at him and he turns it into a musical love-thing.   I don't have a favorite cut.  It depends on what day it is and what is on my mind at the time that I'm listening because Danny's lyrics and music are so mercurial.  They work on me in that way.  The songs are multi-faceted the way the sunlight plays throughout the day on Half Dome as seen from the valley floor of Yosemite.  From where I stand it is plain and simple joy.  I wouldn't be surprised to find I'm not alone in that observation from people who actually know what they are talking about.

Let me just say this:  If you are not familiar with Danny Schmidt's talent, this CD is an opportune offering to start with.  Listen and buy it here.  Make sure you are on Danny's mailing list so you don't miss him when he comes to town.  If you are already a fan then I have a smile, a knowing glance and a "Damn!  He did it AGAIN!" just  for you.




Photo credit Rodney Bursiel

2 comments:

marciamayo said...

And he's cute too. I'm going to check him out.

Tom said...

Great musician and a really nice fellah too boot