Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fleet Foxes - When Human Moments are Fine

I have chosen the Fleet Foxes for this month's musical interlude on my blog [see the sidebar on the right].   I like them but to be honest I never bothered to do the research on the band until it occurred to me to put them in here.   This is a round about way of saying that what appealed to me about Fleet Foxes was based solely upon their sound after I heard them.  I bought their disc, Sun Giant, and it has been in rotation for two years on my mp3 player.  Always a welcome surfacing from the "shuffle" feature on my player.  I really did not think twice about the band until this week when I received notice that they had a new album coming out called Helplessness Blues.  I checked out sound samples and was reminded again how absolutely stunning their lush sound is.  I decided then and there that I would be buying their new album and that they would be my May featured artist.

So it was, that on the heels of my attempt at putting their widget on my blog, I did some research into the band.  I was pleased to find that they are artists who are generous in spirit.  What is more, it was in doing the reading that it was suggested that they might not be insulted (at least I hope not) by my closeted association of their sound in my aged ear to my favorite dysfunctional musical family of the 60's the Mamas and the Papas...only, of course, Fleet Foxes are 45 years more. The full harmonies aside there is something of the jangle and edge of gypsies and an urgent excitement in their sound; a passion that betrays their innocence.  A sound that could be easily tortured by any one else trying to procure it.

When I listened to excerpts from their new album the Helplessness Blues, I was truly thrilled to hear the same delicate yet strong luxuriant sound in the work along with what sounded like a confidence in pacing.  I don't know how to explain it but I like it. I hope you like it too. Please enjoy Fleet Foxes.  Catch up with who they are as I did from their artist statement at Sub Pop and join me in supporting them to continue their work .  Buy their music.  See their shows.



video courtesy of bcasey63

4 comments:

marciamayo said...

Oh Cile, thanks for this. You are now my music educator.

cile said...

...well, okay Marcia...but I will allow this tutoring thing only as long as it takes to get you to someone who is actually knowledgeable about music! I only know what I like.

Molly said...

Cile, if you like Fleet Foxes, you would absolutely love The Moondoggies. They are friends of mine and friends also with the Fleet Foxes. They are extraordinarily good. They sound like Neil Young, early Dylan, The Band, the Velvet Underground, etc. I highly recommend typing 'Moondoggies Empress of the North' into a YouTube near you.

cile said...

Thanks, Molly! I've got a whole pile of them thar Moondoggies videos piled up for my listening enjoyment. I likes! You told me about these guys a long time ago. Note to self: I WILL learn to pay attention to Molly's suggestions or live behind the 8 ball!