Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Thursday, September 1, 2011

September: Biagio Biondolillo is Alone on This Here and Now

I can't find a lot of information about my September artist of the month Biagio Biondolillo.  I heard him play at the Jamboree this year and he stood out.  I really didn't realize how far until I spent some time with his CD "Alone on This Here and Now" after the festival.  In fact, I was kind of taken aback when I went on-line and I found out he hasn't been out and about the world more.  He's been playing for a while, he's a local and he is a fantastic talent. Now you know as much as I do...except I've gotten to hear his work and see him play.

I love this CD. The music is both graceful and strong.  Each song is a gem of its own individual facet, color and tone and each has a multitude of layers besides.  I still don't believe it is his first recording, frankly, because each tune is so intricately crafted and interesting.   He, of course, has help with the talents of Anna Arvan, Kat Bula, Rich Canut III and Jon Sampson but these are his songs and his here and now. I've looked around the internets and I can't find a way to get a copy of the CD on-line.  So friend him on Facebook to track his performances or contact him, I'd bet he'd sell you a CD if you ordered one through him.  Copies can also be purchased at Everyday Music in Bellingham  (by phone: 360.676.1404). If you can get your hands on a copy, you won't be disappointed. Here is an audio sample and a video below. I've got a link to a song in the side bar up all month but I suggest you go to his MySpace and hear what he has posted there, too.

"dirty blues"


I watched a few videos of his performances, the best of which I have posted below. I think it is interesting how he folds into his guitar when he plays where many artists open up and stare into space like they are communing with their muse through some distant dimension.  Biondolillo plays his guitar like it is speaking to him intimately and holding the center of a conversation on a topic they have a long history with.  The music and lyrics blend with that kind of intimacy. Seriously, it is not a communication you want to miss.  Enjoy what I've posted here, go see him play live (if you are lucky enough to live in Bellingham)...and buy his CD.  Maybe, if he can afford it, he will make more music for us.





Thanks to mattcurtisdesign for the video.
















1 comment:

sedonamoonshadow said...

Enjoyed, would love to see him too. Love his style