Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November: Unfolding the Light with Esther Golton

Pumpkin pie doesn't taste the same is July as it does in November.  Some music has it's seasonal taste for me as well.  So it is with Esther Golton's Aurora Borealis: Conversations with Alaska's Northern Lights CD.  I listen at all times of the year but, because I have been to Alaska the music holds a stronger appeal for me in the long, dark winter than any other time of the year and I seek it out.

To be honest I do not fancy New Age music. When I first got the CD I have to admit I didn't expect to like it much because of the way I have felt about meditative compositions by other artists.    I hear enough of it certainly being played in different environments as a sort of mood regulating medium in bookstores and spas.  So it was that after I received it, I had thrown the CD in the player and started doing some tasks around the house.  I had to stop what I was doing though to listen - not because I felt that I had to listen - as some responsibility to Esther's hard work, but because there was some depth to the music that I didn't expect to hear and I was drawn to stop what I was doing to surrender to it.  None of the New Age compositions capture me quite like Esther's CD and had I not been a friend to her, I may have never been able to understand the difference her music offers in comparison to the others.  Esther uses her flute and mountain dulcimer to share her relationship with this strange mystical light.


The Rarest Waltz, Aurora Borealis: Conversations with Alaska"s Northern Lights (mp3)

Musicians and artists often travel the world and come upon a natural wonder and are inspired to share their experience through their art.   As I listen to Esther's CD there is something more tangible to her offering than a musician's meditation on a moment.  It is no passing fancy for her to stumble upon the Aurora Borealis.  It is a part her daily life and truly a part of the conversation of her days there. Her choices in life to live in Alaska have made her a child of that great northern country and its vast natural panorama and her lifestyle captures and adds a depth to her musical offering.  I can't explain it but I know it is not because I know Esther.  It has more to do with how I don't know the Aurora Borealis beyond fabulous pictures of it; how I don't know the life of living with the surprise of an amazing array of colored light dancing in a seemingly eternal night.  I have never known the feeling of stepping outside and having the dark sky burst open with vivid color and sway as if opening to another reality entirely. In our listening to Aurora Borealis: Conversations with Alaska's Northern Lights, Esther allows us to envision such wonders.

Esther Golton brings this other-world-within-our-world to us in this CD and I hope you will give it a listen and share your discovery.  Buy this CD.  Esther has brought us a great gift in sharing her experience and it is a gift worthy of sharing with others. If we are lucky perhaps she will let us in on some more conversations and compositions in the future.

2 comments:

Esther said...

Cile - What a delightful surprise! I'm grateful both that you wrote a piece about Aurora Borealis and that the music speaks to you in a sincere way. Your writeup makes ME want to go and put the CD on to reconnect with the sky... :-) Love, Esther

tribedancing said...

Like you, I'm not a big fan of New Age music, and, like you, this music let me imagine sights that I have never seen. Thank you for sharing!