Working Together

"We shape our self
to fit this world

and by the world
are shaped again..."

Excerpt from "Working Together" © David Whyte
in The House of Belonging

Many Rivers Press

Monday, March 12, 2012

All I Want is the Truth Now - Word of the Year 2012

I don't have a lot of time to contemplate the written word or to let the muse settle in for a heart to heart these days.  Such is the life of a minimum wage slave.  I have, however, kept in mind that the spring equinox is arriving with witness to the days becoming longer.  The slap of the daylight savings time adjustment makes sure I do not forget that time is indeed marching forward with or without me.

In the few idle moments I have had in the last three months, I have tossed about a few words for this year but always seemed to settle back to the word truth.

Truth is a pretty heady and nebulous word to tote around even for a short period of time, let alone a year so I wasn't keen on it at first. It is not that I am a big liar but I am known to be delusional and I have caught myself living a lie more than once in the span of my life. Truth is the kind of word, like love, that carries with it and entreats an automatic response of very specific images for every individual reading it.  In my case - for this year - it means staying my course.  Staying true to my nature and vision for myself and for the world I want to live in.  It is what I've been thinking about in trying to make my way through this, a very disparaging time of my life.  It is tempting to cry uncle and run for some idea of a safe spot, even if it is just for a little mental respite.  Yet, even that small reprieve has its costs when the situation is as demanding as it has been lately.  I'm pressed into honesty. I put my shoulder into it with choosing this word.

There seem to be a thousand and one distractions and temptations lurking in every day to seduce a person away from their best intentions...and no time is worse for this that an election year in America where the daily spin alone is ken to mind altering carnival rides designed from the darkest and the worst in human nature.  I just thank my lucky stars I don't have television or I think I would go out of my mind entirely.  What I hear on-line is a constant drone of sound bites and confusion.  It is all I can do to stay alert enough to take in the truth as I experience it daily. Witnessing the world having violent fits and false starts is more than I can or want to do.  As I check in from time to time, I don't see a lot of people noticing much of a problem or hear the count down of a situation that can only inflame to heal itself, which is alarming and discouraging.  That is, besides the our constant banter of entertaining each other with clever bon mots regarding the stupidity of those who think differently that streams constantly...an activity that is, by and large, another distraction from problem solving.  When it moves from, "...if I don't laugh, I will cry." to: "What clever thing can I share that will bring me attention?" a sucking sound can be heard all across cyberspace.  As usual, there are only the marginalized rattling their chains; pressing themselves into uncomfortable places, communicating with hand jive and hack job while working from the wings.  Hardly the best use of our greatest minds for problem solving.

Though I was raised and nurtured to be a polite girl with a strong work ethic and a cultivated appreciation for diplomacy, as I age I find it easier to recognize that for what it really is: another tender trap to temper passions and isolate unique and original  ideas from upsetting the status quo.  It remains to be seen where the truth will take me this year but I am hoping it will keep me in reality and that I can handle its course...for even as difficult as life has been lately, it beats living a lie.

Like John Lennon's video below implies...just cut the crap. This year, it starts with me.

Word of the year 2012: Truth 

truth

1.
the true  or actual state of a matter.
2.
conformity with fact or reality; verity.
3.
a verified or indisputable fact, proposition, principle, or the like.
4.
the state or character of being true.
5.
actuality or actual existence.







Artist: John Lennon
Song Title: Gimme Some Truth
Writer(s): LENNON 
I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
I've had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna Mother Hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope
No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna Mother Hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
Money for dope
Money for rope
I'm sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mama's little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now
I've had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth
No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna Mother Hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
It's money for dope
Money for rope
Ah, I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now
I've had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

Thank you  Flora Caronni  for reminding me about this song and  JiacIakolenna   for posting the video.

5 comments:

marciamayo said...

The way politicians sculpt the truth infuriates me. The different ways people see the truth scares me. I only like my truth.

cile said...

I like my truth, too, Marcia...when I remember it! I'm hoping by disciplining myself over the year, I can keep it a part of my decision-making process. Thanks for commenting!

atuuschaaw said...

Excellent yet very difficult word choice my friend. Way too much of the time, truth tends to be even stranger and more difficult to believe than fiction, which makes it so hard to discern between the two. The path of truth can be a lonely and unforgiving path as well. You take care and don't forget there are people out here who do care and appreciate the truth as much as you.

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting." — Buddha

cile said...

Thanks, Randy. The quote from Buddha is one that I can use on my journey through this year and I will put in on my monitor to help me remember. I expect some rough spots with this word but that just makes it feel all the more appropriate somehow.

CVH said...

Acknowledging our personal truth is not an easy task. I often find my head and heart in separate spheres on the matter, but I am doing my best now to better align the two in my life. In doing so, my truth has drastically changed over the past couple years.

I think this is a good thing, but I totally understand where you are coming from, Cile. My truth has evolved into much more logical, rational, practical components from where it used to be. Whether this is good or bad, I am unsure, but currently it is my truth. I do miss the old truth sometimes... ( :

Hang in there, and keep on trucking! It sounds like you are accepting your truth and doing what you need to be doing, though the course is rough.